I remember how delicious my Meme's Chicken and Dumplings were...and also that they were from scratch! Well, I have found an EASY and delicious version that does not take too much time at all!!! This recipe for Chicken and Dumplings is from Southern Living (my fave!)...it really is just the best!! It has so much flavor and really is fool proof!
EASY CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS (serves 4 to 6)
1 (32 oz) container of low sodium chicken broth
3 cups shredded cooked chicken (about 1 1/2 lb) *I boiled 2 chicken breasts in a a 1/2 tsp of chicken boul. for flavor and then shredded it
1 (10 3/4oz) can of reduced fat cream of chicken soup
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 (10.2 oz) can refrigerated jumbo buttermilk biscuits *Pillsbury
3 celery ribs diced
2 carrots diced *I sliced some baby carrots and just matched the amount of celery
1. Boil chicken breasts until done and shred.
2. Brings first 4 ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; return to a low boil
3. Place biscuits on a lightly floured surface. Pat each biscuit to 1/8 inch thickness; cut into 1/2 inch wide strips (if strips are long, cut in 1/2)
4. Drop strips, 1 at a time, into boiling broth mixture. Add celery and carrots. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevents dumplings from sticking.
* I let mine simmer a little longer bc I wanted to make sure it thickened well. The dumplings look strange when you first put them in, but they eventually take to "dumpling form")
Hope you give it a try! Great winter dinner!!